THRIVE Resilience Program for Teens
“Empowering youth through skill-building and practical application to overcome and conquer life’s challenges enabling healthy & productive lives.”
The THRIVE Resilience Program for Teens is currently being taught in numerous states across the country, Empowering thousands of teens with Resilience and Positive Mental Health tools and support.
THRIVE is an Evidence Supported & Trauma Informed interactive course designed to empower teens with knowledge & tools to thrive in today’s culture. Thrive addresses the challenges facing JR & SR high school age teens with a focus on the Risk and Protective factors that promote positive choices and healthy habits.
(Thrive is facilitated across the country - we look forward to partnering with new states and locations)
*AHCCCS deemed intervention to be a "Promising Practice" by SAMHSA standards.
Examples of AZ: School Districts, Charter Schools and Youth Serving locations where THRIVE is delivered:
(Chandler, Mesa, Glendale, Tucson, Casa Grande, Tempe, Surprise, Buckeye, Peoria, Maricopa, Nogales, Patagonia, Rio Rico, Douglas, Benson, Safford, Morenci, Coolidge, Apache Junction, Superior, Ajo, Marana, Sahuarita, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu City, Kingman, and the Colorado River Union High School District.)
EXAMPLES of other states:
(California, Washington, Nevada, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maryland, Georgia, Minnesota, Missouri)
66% Reduction in Substance Related Offenses & 40% Reduction in Tobacco / Vape related offenses after course completion - Willis JR High, Chandler, AZ
PPEP (Pima County Community Prevention Coalition) December 2020 "QUARTERLY OUTCOMES - Goals, Objectives, and Performance Measures" reported the results EXCEEDED STANDARDS for the following objectives:
- Increase in Student knowledge (perception) of risk/harms of youth substance use (alcohol/Rx drugs/marijuana) as demonstrated by pre/post surveys.
- Increase in Student knowledge life skills (that mitigate trauma) as demonstrated by pre/post surveys.
(Wellington survey tool for AHCCCS)
Student's Perception of Risk/Harm
- E-cigarettes / vaping
- Vape marijuana / Marijuana / Marijuana concentrates
- Underage drinking / Binge drinking
(LPKNC survey results)
- Thrive Survey results show that students who participated in this program increased their ability to understand and identify stress, triggers, purpose in life and setting realistic goals. Overall, increases were seen in all survey items from pre-survey to post-survey in the desired direction.
(Mesa Public Schools - Mesa Alliance)
- 70% of youth indicated they agreed, they can work out personal problems if they try hard enough.
(Casa Grande Alliance)
- Areas of immense growth include: understanding of healthy & effective coping skills for dealing with stress (77.7%)
Arizona & National Department of Education Teaching Standards
- The Thrive curriculum uses learning objectives tied to Arizona Department of Education and National Health Education Teaching Standards and is facilitated over 9 engaging lessons.
SB 1376 – Schools; Curriculum; Mental Health
- The Thrive curriculum is a Resilience & Positive Mental Health program, meets the requirements of the new state mandated bill for schools in content and meeting consulting agency requirements.
THRIVE qualifies for varies forms of funding
(Examples of funders of THRIVE are listed below - numerous other avenues are being used)
- Meets SAMHSA qualifications as a “Promising Practice”
- AHCCCS (Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System) as a “Promising Practice”
- AZ GOYFF (Governor’s Office of Youth Faith & Family)
- RICO Funds
- Numerous other means being used
- Evidence Supported
- Trauma Informed
- Promising Practice by SAMHSA Standards
- Diversity & Inclusion focused
- Motivational Interview style engagement
The “Thrive” model is intentional about creating a positive atmosphere that addresses unhealthy behavior while encouraging the participants to see their value, focus on solutions and internalize healthy lifestyles.
- Enhance SEL (Social Emotional Learning) Competencies.
- Reduce Substance Use and High Risk Behaviors
- Enhance Healthy Decision Making and Problem-Solving Skills
- Empower Greater Self-Esteem, Confidence and over-all Positive Mental Health
- Diversity & Inclusion focused - Intended for all audiences
- Stress & the Body
- Identifying Emotions
- Sense of Purpose—Strength of Character
- Risk & Choices
- Taking Active Responsibility
- Substance Misuse & Just the Facts
- Resistance Skills
- Grades 6th - 12th
- Consists of 9 class sessions - Approximately 40-50 minutes in length
- The program is designed to be flexible and can be taught in 9 successive days, 2 -3 days a week, once a week, or a variation. For best results, it is not recommended to take more than 2 weeks between lessons.
Suggested combinations for ease of presenting and additional in-depth training.
THRIVE is designed for to be Dynamic, Adaptable & Accommodating for the Facilitator and student!
- Traditional presentation using Hard Copy as a stand alone. (In-Person)
- Virtual presentation using downloadable and fillable Student Workbook
- Hybrid: combinations of In-Person, Virtual & E-course
The program can be used alone or in combination with the E-Course.
Click here to Order Course Materials
"Thrive" Resilience Program for Teens is available in the following formats:
- Hard Copy
2020 Arizona Youth Survey (Arizona Criminal Justice Commission
2018 School Substance Abuse Prevention Program Inventory (Governor’s Goal Council on Healthy Families)
Monitoring the Future 2018 Survey
SAMHSA - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Arizona Trauma Institute 2019
The Arizona Adverse Childhood Experiences Consortium
7 C’s of Resilience – Dr. Ginsburg
5 C's of Youth Development - Project Everlast
NIDA - National Institute on Drug Abuse
AZDHS - Arizona Department of Health Services
The “Thrive “material is designed to intentionally create an atmosphere for the student to feel safe to participate, encourage reflection, promote critical thinking, and allow for relationship building.
The intention is to promote student participation and encourage the students to actively share, keeping the subject matter relative to their culture & life situations. The lessons provide direction then lead into open ended style questions / fill-in charts, etc. to promote reflection and allow the students to participate and be empowered to be a part of the process and conclusions.
Significant student participation is largely based on how safe a student feels in the environment and the degree of relationship and connection they feel with the presenter. The material is designed to progressively become more internally focused, requiring more student vulnerability as the student progresses through the lessons. Intentionally establishing a safe environment and a healthy coach / mentor relationship will be important.
The material is also intentionally created to provide the same concepts for the presenter. The individual lesson concepts, instructors outline, notes, videos, suggested activities etc. are a guide and boundary for presenting the concepts. Each presenter & environment / culture have their own unique and diverse components. The material is designed to give the presenter liberty to adapt their own style, videos, suggested activities etc. that fit into the lesson concept and allow for the presenter to feel safe, encouraged, promote their critical thinking, etc.
The material is also designed to be flexible enough to reach teens from middle school level through high school. The presenter can adapt the discussions, questions, activities, etc. to the appropriate level of the students.
For Train the "Facilitator" & Train the "Trainer" Click the link or visit the page
Click for - Training / Facilitating
Upon successful completion, facilitators are given access to the THRIVE Training Portal where they have access to all the training materials needed to immediately begin facilitating the program.
Continued support: Facilitators have access to community connection platforms for support, encouragement and to share ideas & success stories after the training is completed.
(All Material is Copyrighted by Empowering Breakthrough LLC)
CONTACT US TODAY
Copyright Empowering Breakthrough LLC 2020
#prevention #mentalhealth #youth #teen #preventionprograms #lifeskills #youthsubstanceuse #substancemisuse #socialemotionallearning #positivementalhealth #resilience #protectivefactors #resiliency #schoolbasedcurriculum